Monday, August 23, 2010

2 Swedes, 2 Missionaries, and 1 Motswana

So I went to the SOS Children's Village last week! I went on Monday and Wednesday to help out with some computer classes. Schools are on break right now-so they had some set activities in place for the kids for the next couple of weeks. I was told I would meet another volunteer from Germany; and I could help her with the computer classes. Well on Monday, I went to SOS and there was no volunteer from Germany, but there were 2 other girls from Botswana that were there. They didnt really know what to do, so the kids just kind of putzed around on the computers. I went again on Wednesday in hopes of meeting the volunteer from Germany, but found out she had been sick, and wouldnt be there again. So this time, it was pretty much just me facilitating the computer classes. I hadnt come prepared; so I attempted to show them the beginnings of a typing lesson--but they werent very interested. So unfortunately, my time this past week wasnt all that exciting--but it was definitely better than being in the office.

I wont be going back to SOS until after IST; which will hopefully be nice, since school will be back in session, which means I'll get to volunteer at the kindergarten!

But this has definitely been a week of meeting new people!! On Monday at SOS I met 2 young guys from Sweden!! They are here taking foreign exchange nursing classes at the University of Botswana (UB) till December. And they are looking for some places to volunteer--and I didnt get to talk to them too much, but I hope I'll see them around again. Than on Wednesday, again at SOS, I briefly met 2 young guys who were mormons from the US. They had both been here for over a year and were from Idaho and Oregon. And lastly-in an attempt to make my way to the Orange (cell phone company) store at Main Mall in Gaborone--I was on a combi and a young guy asked me if I was chinese (and I was ready to brush him off and say no, Im American; like I have said to SOOO many others) but since I was kinda lost, I decided to ask him for directions. He laughed at me because he told me, I should have gotten off at the last stop. But he decided trying to give me directions would be too difficult, so he walked me there. He had just finished classes at UB and was actually moving to Canada in a few days to go study for 4 years to become a lab tech! Naturally this got me interested since 1. I have a brother moving to Canada and 2. My mom works in the lab. So we walked and talked all the way to the Orange store and I wished him the best of luck in Canada. Its funny though--why is that every Batswana that is genuinely interested in talking to me either lives in another village or is leaving the country? How about I meet some in my village and actually STAYING in my village...

I also must say thank you to Dara, as I received an awesome package from her. It was full of sour patch kids, iced tea packets, Dora the explorer fruit snacks (nice touch there Dira or should I say DORA), popsicle molds, razors, magazines, and pictures!! I knew I could count on my personal papparazzi to send me pictures!! :)

So one nice thing about being so close to Gabs-is that people can stay at my place if theyre trying to catch an early bus somewhere. So Ive had several volunteers from bots8 stay with me last week and this week. Its been nice having company!!

This Wednesday I'll be venturing to our Peace Corps IST (training)...a whole 5 min combi ride down to Oasis Motel (the one I lived in when I first got to site). Wed-Sunday all of our group will be there; and than there will be one more week for the DAC/CCB groups. My counterpart is supposed to be coming to a workshop, which is part of our IST next Tues+Wed. Than Thurs+Fri, those who signed up will get STEPS training. STEPS is a program that uses videos to help educate and facilate discussions about HIV/AIDS related topics. I'll explain more about this after the training.

Up Next: IST training till Sept 10th, birthday celebration in Gaborone, and hopefully getting my new kitty soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment