Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And so the countdown begins...

I have exactly ONE year left in Botswana!! (Well by the time I post this, it’ll be even less than that!) It’s kind of crazy to think that I’ve been here for 14 months now. Ive been down in Kanye a lot over the past few weeks for the Bots10 Pre-Service Training (PST) as a PSDN member. Its been kind of weird to be there and be seen as the “veterans” who know what we’re talking about. Ha! Little do they know that we actually dont know too much!! Well...not really. I have definitely learned a lot, but can definitely say that I am still learning! Its also been weird to think that over a year ago, I was in their shoes! I remember meeting the Bots8 volunteers during our training and being so envious of them, in that they had already completed a year!

Due to recent events (which ill explain later), I actually had to type something up about my projects, and it really helped remind me of all the things I am doing here. It’s hard to feel accomplished here...as so many of our projects do not yield direct results. So many of us joined the Peace Corps to make a difference in someone else’s life...but now, a lot of us realize we may never get the feeling of instant gratification, in knowing we did something. I think a lot of us try to plan a few small and somewhat tangible products to fill that void.

Even though I do not feel accomplished or that I can even say I have contributed to my office, except for small ways; I still feel good about my youth activities. I enjoy working and discussing all sorts of topics with my teen clubs. It has been a struggle to get them to open up to me; and I feel as though they are finally starting to trust me. I had just wished the strike (Ill explain in a few paragraphs..) had not been going on; as I was not able to meet with them very often this term! Some of my students are so driven and dream of high goals; and I can only hope they know I am there to cheer them on and encourage them to reach high.

I did feel good today when I taught the driver of my office how to use gmail. My M&E officer (who had a baby girl by the way!) helped him set up a gmail account awhile ago; but he didnt know how to check it. So today for about an hour I showed him how to check his email, reply to an email and how to write a completely new email. I wrote up all the directions and told him Id write up practice exercises for him to do. He was very appreciative and thankful!

I love the feeling of walking into the baby classroom at the SOS and seeing the little ones recognize me and call me Lesedi and not “teacher lekgoa.” A few weeks ago we played with bubbles and I so badly wished I had my camera with me. I was trying to explain to them that they needed to blow softly in order to make the bubbles come out. And some of them just werent getting it! haha They loved catching them, eating them, making them, and I loved watching them.

And my Baobab kids! They are so incredible! They are all so eager to learn and listen! I just recently started a new term, with new students and Im very excited! We will be taking part in the World Map Project; in which the students will create a large mural of a world map to be displayed on the wall on their school grounds. I promise to explain more about this project and its history in a later post...perhaps when ours is finished!

With success, also comes failure. In my last post I had mentioned leading a 3 part leadership workshop with Mary; and unfortunately due to the strike and the absence of teachers, we were unable to do this. However, I can only hope that we’ll be able to do this in term 3!! I also mentioned the Botswana Book Project in previous posts. I had placed Tlokweng JSS and Matlala JSS on the list but it looks like neither of them will be getting books. I had hopes of making sure both libraries were completely ready (adequate shelving space, a librarian, etc.) to take on 300+ new books; but it seems as though they just arent there yet. Unfortunately a lot of these efforts were tainted due to the strike; but Im hoping they can participate next year. I am still hoping to go and help other PCVs in sorting; as it is such an amazing project!

Public sector strike: There has been a public sector strike going on in Botswana for about a month and a half. There have been a few bouts of violence-but nothing too close to me. Public servants are asking for a 16% pay increase, and the government is only willing to give 3%. As of last week, it seems as though negotiations are still be worked out...but still no resolution. Some of the people who have been on strike have been fired from their jobs. A few weeks ago, volunteers were told to stay away from work; and the trainees werent allowed to go to their sites. Yesterday I found out about some violence/riots in Francistown and heres a video to show it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McRN86MDi4&feature=share

Unfortunately a lot of teachers have been on strike and its been an imposition on some of my projects. Schools were closed for about a week and half, but they have reopened.However one of my schools still lets the students out after lunch, canceling all after school activities, including my club. No one in my office is striking, but since my office is in the sub district council, I have seen that there are a lot of people striking. The building my office is in has been quiet for quite some time.

Its been an interesting experience being here while this goes on. Botswana has never had a strike like this, so its pretty new to all. Apparently the president is not budging and neither is the union. It is getting frustrating to me since my projects are falling through because of it. Like I mentioned before my club meetings have been on halt; and 2 of my schools were supposed to get books from the Botswana book project. However, I found out one of the librarians has transferred, and the other librarian is on strike. So it seems as though neither of my schools will be getting books this year.

This week the Bots8 volunteers are getting ready to leave and head back home. They have all accomplished so much; grown and I look up to each of them. They will certainly be missed by me, but look forward to seeing some of them in the DC area when I get back! And although they will be leaving, I am looking forward to getting to know the Bots10 volunteers better, who are in close proximity to me!

When I think that I have an entire year left...well it seems so freaking long! But than I break it down by month...and realize its going to fly by! I have something going on pretty much each month and before I know it...its going to be 2012! Im planning my next trip back to South Africa for July!! Im heading to the Billabong Pro surfing competition at Jeffreys bay, renting a car and seeing the garden route, and seeing cape town once more with my friend Hannah! In August, I’ll probably be around for the Bots10 IST for PSDN! In Septermber, a brand new Bots11 group comes! In November, my dad visits for 2 weeks during Thanksgiving!! In December, not much goes on--but obviously holidays! Like I said...2012 is right around the corner!

Next up: Skills Development training for STEPS and MST next week!! Back to South Africa in July!! (And I just realized I forgot to post about the Takotokwane team building workshop I helped facilitate...oops..next time!

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog when doing a search about Peace Corps Botswana, I'm part of the group coming this September! Thanks for your blog, it has been exciting for me to read in preparation for my own journey! Can't wait to get there! :)

    ReplyDelete