STEPS: BUT on a happier note the STEPS training was awesome. I felt bad that I was not 100% engaged because I was just so burnt out from the 2 weeks of IST.
A little background on STEPS: (Social Transformation and Empowerment Projects) was formed in South Africa in 2001. South African filmmakers and people living positively with HIV came together to create 38 films (most are documentaries depicting real life stories) that would be shown around the world. The films focus on hope, inspiration and positive living and provoke and encourage audiences to discuss and debate HIV/AIDS related topics.
So this training that we took part in was to be Facilitator's to the STEPS films. We learned about the learning cycle; characteristics of a good facilitator; preparing, planning, and the layout for a facilitated screening; and evaluating your screening.
On the first day I was wondering what the heck I was doing in the room. Even though I think its a great idea and the films are fantastic; I dont like speaking in front of people. But this helped show me that during my time here in Botswana; one of my personal goals is to feel more comfortable speaking in front of people. So we'll see how this goes...
Im really interested in using the films for youth and possibly for the sex worker population in Tlokweng. One of the other volunteers suggested we do some screenings together. So now I'll be trying to talk to the schools and one of the NGO's- Nkaikela Youth Group in helping me to start planning for a possible screening.
BIRTHDAY: So first off, Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had a pretty great 23rd this year! We celebrated my birthday on Friday the 10th (to allow people who lived farther away to be leave Saturday to get back to their villages). I knew I was going to be making 2 pans of lasagna, garlic bread, and chocolate cake!! But the food preparations started on Tuesday!! Tuesday I made homemade Ricotta cheese; Wednesday I made the sauce; Thursday I compiled all the lasagna; and Friday I baked it! My friend helped cook the chocolate cake and when I got home on Friday; we made icing and managed to make an awesome 3 layer chocolate cake with vanilla icing!! I had about 12 people over for dinner and it was definitely a success!! Than we all piled in a combi and picked a few other people up and went to a bar called the Bull&Bush. We danced and hung out and although there was some drama here and there...overall it was a fun night!!
For my actual birthday, I had several people just hanging out at my place and than we went to dinner at a restaurant/coffee shop called Mugg&Bean. It was a chill day but my night ended with a GREAT birthday present! While everyone else was watching an episode of True Blood; I decided to go on ESPN.com and see if I could watch the JMU vs. VT game! I didnt actually get to see a streaming video; but I watched the GameCast-which allowed me to see what plays were being done! And I was SUPER PUMPED when JMU BEAT VIRGINIA TECH 21-16!!! SUCH A BIG WIN!!! WAY TO GO DUKES!!! Needless to say my friends didnt really know why I was screaming...and I was definitely the only one excited. Ha. Sad I couldnt be there...but cant wait to see how the rest of the season spans out!! I saw from facebook statuses-that everyone was all purpled out on the following Monday and even though I couldnt wear my Purple out shirt at work...I did wear it at home!!
FIRST WEEK BACK TO WORK SINCE IST: So I walked in on Monday prepared to talk to my DAC to see when my APCD could come to our office so that all 3 of us could talk. Well...funny thing. Turns out my DAC was out of the office ALL week for a workshop. And my APCD cant meet this week...so we finally have a meeting set up for the 27th. I'll let you know how that goes...and until than..I continue to coast.
But since my DAC wasnt around this week, I was mostly in the office in the mornings and left in the afternoon to go check in with some of the NGOs. And on Wednesday and Friday I spent most of the day at SOS! I went to the kindergarten both days and found the kids to be SUPER cute!! Aside from their constant punching and kicking each other; they are definitely cute and since I'm new...they were all fighting for my un-divided attention!
I did find it hard to communicate with them since they only know a very little english. They all call me "teacher." And they all wanted to show me what they were doing on the playground or wanted me to push them on the swings. I hope to go to SOS at least twice a week; and Im not sure if I'll stay for the full day-as I think they'll burn me out!!
In my DAC office, we're preparing for the HIV/AIDS fair which is this Thursday. This should be interesting...especially since I just found out there are a bunch of people going on strike. Im not 100% sure whats going on, since no one ever tells me. But I know the teachers are striking this week, as they want higher pay. Ive been told by Peace Corps; that if people are striking in my office to just go out and do community work to prevent being seen as taking 1 side or another.
KITTEN: I got my kitten today!! Amy and Colin (the PCV married couple, who's cat had kittens) dropped her off this morning!! Shes currently playing with a very intriguing piece of tin foil. She came in and explored the house a bit and it seems as though she's adjusting rather well! Now we're both trying to catch the two flies in my house that are driving me nuts! Im ready with a magazine in hand...and she's ready to pounce!
Ive posted pictures on facebook from my birthday, SOS and my kitten!! Heres the link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2386294&id=7813917&l=c08061b274
No comments:
Post a Comment