Unfortunately today Ive been a bit down and find myself frustrated with several adults that just don't seem to understand or seem to want my help at all. And I've also been feeling a bit sick...but im heading to the medical office tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the day off to rest.
A huge THANK YOU to my Aunt and my friend, Michele for some awesome care packages! I had a slip for THREE packages and even though I had every intention of carrying them home...was surprised to find THREE packages that could not be carried!! I had to call my driver and ask him to pick me up!! My aunt sent me goodies to make my home feel even homier and a hammock!!! I put it up this past weekend...and even though I think I need step-by-step video instructions on how to lay in the "brazillian" hammock...Im excited to have something to relax and read in!!!
The weather here is starting to warm up FAST!!! On our long commute home...I think I drank about 3 bottles of water and my body just quickly soaked it up!! At one point we saw that it was about 97 deg at about 3pm in the afternoon! My house is starting to warm up and needless to say im NOT excited about summer!
HIV/AIDS Fair: A few weeks ago my office held a HIV/AIDS fair! The fair (not the same concept as home) consisted of speakers and entertainment in the morning till about lunch time; and than people could view the booths/stalls afterwards. Slizer, the local artist that I saw filming her music video when I first got to Botswana performed in her full on cheetah print get up!! I had been at work till about 6pm the night before (as 10 people took 8 hours to set up 3 tents); got up around 5am the day of the fair; and worked till about 6pm the day of the fair. It was definitely a long couple of days!!
However, overall I thought the fair was a success. There were about 300+ people there. There were about 12 NGO/CBOs/Organizations that put up a table. Since all the different organizations were there, I was able to walk around and talk to several people. It actually felt nice, because I realized more people knew me than I feel like.
Meeting with my counterpart: I had my meeting with my counterpart and my program director! Despite the fact that my counterpart was 45 min late...we were able to talk for a bit and covered the important things. Before my counterpart came, my program director and I sat down and tweaked my list of things I want to be able to do. I beefed up my list and gave it to my counterpart to look over before we talk. Here are a few of the things I am interested in pursuing...some may happen, some may not. I still feel a bit tied down by my counterpart but hoping it will get better!!
-Spending time at the SOS Children's Village Kindergarten. Id like to help create themed weeks for the kindergarten surrcounding wellness by incorporating important topics with fun activities-including safety, strangers, hand washing, nutrition, etc.)
-As I said before I have been trained in STEPS-which uses short films to encourage discussions on topics related to HIV/AIDS. Another Peace Corps Volunteer and I decided to screen some of the films together. So I actually had a meeting today with the guidance councellor at the Tlokweng Junior Secondary School. We will be screening the Form 2 classes at my school at the end of October; and the Form 3 classes at my friends village (Kumakwane) towards the end of October too! Im definitely excited about it! The other PCV and I started planning last weekend and we both feel really motivated and excited! I hope to work with the Nkaikela Youth Group, who focuses on sex workers; in getting active participation from students for a PACT/Abstinence/wellness club.
--In talking with several of the Peace Corps Life Skills volunteers, I’ve heard a strong need for positive reinforcements in schools. Since I took an entire course in college regarding positive reinforcements and dealing with behaviour problems in schools; I would love to present a workshop/presentation to teachers.
--The use of computers continues to grow in offices all over Tlokweng; and I get a lot of comments on how fast I can type. (Looks like the Super Mario typing program my mom made me practice with paid off!) So I would like to give some form of typing classes; maybe at SOS, adults (even in our office), or youth. However, I need to find a computer lab of some sort and see if there would be interest.
--I would like to spend time at the I am Special school, and possibly coaching/encouraging involvement in a Special Olympics sports team (possibly with the help of a youth/adult sports team together). We can also use the sports team as a means of educating about HIV/AIDS, since the disabled population doesn’t seem to be reached often.
--I would like to help Le Rona re Teng (support group for people living with disabilities) with setting up a bank account, a meeting place, and anything else they may need help with.
Toyota 1000K Desert Race: The weekend of the 24th, there was a big race starting and finishing in my friend's village. We had a great weekend of cooking, drinking, good company and viewing the races!! It made me miss tailgating at home!!! The race featured dirt bikes, quads and cars/trucks. We got up early on Saturday morning to see the start of the race!
Skype session with 2 high school classes: My friend Mary is student teaching at a high school in Pennsylvania and asked if I would be willing to skype with 2 of her classes!! I gladly said yes and the sessions went really well! It was weird knowing my face was huge on a big projector screen as I looked onto 20 or so students! I just talked about general information on Peace Corps and my job description here in Botswana. The students asked questions regarding weather, food, cultural differences, Peace Corps influence, travelling, etc. Doing my best to meet the 3rd Peace Corps goal...Sharing information with Americans back home about my host country!!
Wellness Walk: Last week the PCV in Gaborone was hosting a wellness walk for her office and the Home Based Care Center. I went along to support her and help her out. Another volunteer from up north also came down. There were about 40 people who walked from the District Commissioner's office to the Home based care center. The idea was to walk there and back before 10am. However, we needed to get police escorts (protocol), and they ended up showing up late. And than we showed them the designated route but instead they took us through all the main roads and we slowed all the traffic down!! It ended up being a pretty rushed walk; and none of the Batswana walked back; but overall I think it was a success!!
Camping in Nata: Last weekend was a 4 day weekend because Thursday was Botswana's Independence day! So about 25 volunteers went up North to Nata to camp out on the salt pans! A couple of volunteers from around my area came to my house wednesday night; we woke up at 4am to catch a 5:45am bus to Francistown (about 5 hours); ended up waiting in the F-town rank for like 2 hours; caught a bus to Nata (about 2.5 hours) and finally made it!! We camped out on the salt pans Thursday night. The pan is huge and extends for miles (during the rainy season theres about an inch of water that lines the pans and it looks like you're walking on an ocean!) We watched the sunset; cooked some food on the braai; made a bonfire; and walked out to see the stars! It was absolutely beautiful! I had never seen the Milky Way so that was really cool! Than we got up around 5:30am to see the sunrise and headed back into Nata!
Several volunteers went back to Francistown; and a couple of us stayed in Nata till Saturday. We were hoping to see hippos or elephants but unfortunately no such luck! I will see some exciting wildlife soon enough!!! We cooked out again at my friend's house and than headed back Saturday for another long trip back to gaborone.
Up Next: I leave for Cape Town on Saturday!! Due to some mix ups with our travel arrangements; I will be staying at a hostel in Cape Town for a few days and seeing the sights around there. Than ill head up the coast to Velddrif to see Irina and her family!! Im definitely reallly excited!!! I hope to go to Table Mountain, Robben Island, and Victoria Waterfront!
I have also posted pictures on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2460431&id=7813917&l=a3786ac3ee
No comments:
Post a Comment