Wednesday, May 9, 2012

10 Favorite Moments during my Peace Corps Service

What better way to reflect on my experience then to share some of my favorite moments and experiences from the past 2 years! After thinking long and hard about ALL my experiences (there were so many!) I narrowed it down to 10 favorite ones… Here they are in no particular order (ranking them was too hard).

-Paragliding over Cape Town:
So I’ve now been to Cape Town twice and I STILL feel like I want to go back for more!! There is SO much to see in do in that city…not to mention the views from every angle are just stunning! While I was there  I was able to see the V+A waterfront, hiked lions head, went to the Cape of Good Hope, wine tasting in Stellenbosch, seeing the penguins at Boulders beach, and much more.

During my 1st trip to Cape Town in October 2010; I saw an ad about paragliding and realized it was something I really wanted to do!!  So the first three days that I was there it was too cloudy and the weather was not good enough to go. But with some luck…the sun came out on my last day!! So I ran right off signal hill with another man and a parachute tied to the back of me. We were up in the air for about 15 minutes and flew right over the city! It was AWESOME!! For those that know me—Im not normally one to like adrenaline type activities but for some reason I wasn’t nervous a single bit!
-My name, Lesedi:  
When we all got to Botswana, we found out that our host families had given us Setswana names. Some volunteers choose to continue using their Setswana name; or some use their American names. Lesedi means “light” and I really loved it; so I decided to continue going by it. Sometimes it’s just “Lesedi”; sometimes it’s “Lesh”; sometimes it’s “sedi girl”; and sometimes its “LEEEESSSSSEEEEDDDDIIIII.” My name, Lesedi has been one of the most meaningful things for me in Botswana. I love the way people say it.

When I first got to Botswana and even up to about the year mark; everyone would always be shouting and calling me “Lekgoa!” or “China!” People would stop me ask me about my China shop or if I sold certain things. And yes—to some extent it’s kind of funny. But when this is happening to you 5-10 times a day; it gets old. The “China” thing was really starting to wear down on me; to the point where I didn’t even want to step out of my house. I had to mentally prepare myself every day before I left; deciding if I was going to ignore everyone, or stop and explain that I was American.

But I tried my best to ignore people and not let it bother me. A few months later, I was walking home from work and usually I pass lots of students getting out of school. Usually they would shout across the road “Lekgoa or China.” But this time…every single one of them was saying “Lesedi! Dumela Lesh!” It was an amazing feeling. I had been working with the schools more and more students were getting to know me. So here they were…calling me by my Setswana name. I felt like I was no longer the foreigner. Funny how something as small as a name can make such a big difference.

-Devils pool at Victoria Falls:
My dad came to visit me in November and during his trip we went to Kasane, Zimbabwe and Zambia. The entire trip was awesome and we got to go on a private game drive/safari; boat cruise; ziplining; walked with the lions; elephant back safari; and enjoyed the scenery and each other’s company.

While we were in Zambia, we went to Livingstone Island for high tea. Along with this; we were able to jump into the Devil’s pool if we wanted to. The Devil’s pool is a natural “pool” formed by rocks at the very edge of Victoria Falls. It’s a 234 foot drop straight down. Dad was pretty hesitant to do it; but got convinced to jump in! I jumped in and leaned right over the edge!! ! I wish I could have hung out there more but we were kind of rushed because of all the people. Again, not usually one for adrenaline type activities but this was AWESOME! Probably one the coolest things I’ve ever done

-Marys Wedding:
As most of you know, I was asked to be the “best lady” or Maid of Honor in my friend, Marys wedding this past weekend. Although it was pretty long day (and I was running on an hour of sleep); it was also a pretty amazing day.
Mary and Fila first met in her village and later started dating in September 2010. The two of them had been together since; and in November 2011 they got engaged. Mary actually tried to call me but I was in Zimbabwe that day with my dad. I found out later once I crossed back into Botswana and pretty much freaked out!! My dad thought I was crazy! Anyways, they got married on May 5th. They had a church ceremony in the morning, followed by pictures of the bridal party, and a reception at Fila’s parent’s house. I’ll admit I even teared up when they were giving their vows! The two of them were so happy and very much in love.  If you haven’t already read it, check out the blog post below this for more details about the wedding.



-Life Skills camps in Tlokweng:
Throughout my service, I had facilitated at lots of workshops in other villages. But I wanted to have a workshop in my village! So I proposed two life skills workshops-one for primary schools and one for JSS to the TAC (Technical AIDS Committee). They approved my workshops so I was given funding! Yay! So at the end of the February I had a workshop for about 20 primary schools students from 3 different schools in my village. We talked about team building, leadership, anatomy/physiology, relationships, STIs, HIV/AIDS, avoiding teenage pregnancy, and public speaking. And at the beginning of March I had the 2nd workshop for about 35 junior secondary school students from 2 schools. We talked about the same topics but added some different activities and condom demonstrations.
A lot of the students who came had seen me before (when I came to their schools for STEPs screenings) or they were some of my students from various clubs. It was so great to see the students so open and willing to talk. They asked so many questions and we were able to provide correct answers for them! It was also great to have several volunteers come facilitate and benchmark my workshop for future workshops in their villages.

-Quadbiking in Namibia:
In April 2011, I went on vacation to Namibia with 3 other volunteers. We went to Windhoek and Swakopmund. While we were in Namibia, we were celebrating 2 birthdays and our 1 year mark. I think we ate just about everything in sight. When we were eating lunch…all we were thinking about was where we were going to eat dinner. We got to go to the beach, went on a “dolphin cruise” (even though we didn’t see a single dolphin), had a huge wild seal sit on my lap, went on a brewery tour and had a beer tasting (SOOOOO good!), didn’t get to go sky diving (probably for the best), and we went quad biking and sand boarding!

When we were out in Swakopmund (which by the way is where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have a house), we went quad biking and sand boarding out on the huge sand dunes! We had a guide take us out but we could go as fast or slow and as high up on the dunes that we wanted. After about an hour, we stopped to go sand boarding. Our “sleds” were these large pieces of thick cardboard that were waxed on one side. We all took a turn looking straight down the side of a dune! But we were all huffing and puffing after one turn…and we all laughed because we had had enough! Haha There was no chair lift…so walking up the dunes was NOT easy! Every time you took a step, you went about 3 steps backward. We ended up asking our guide if we could just do more quad biking instead; and he gladly obliged. It was so cool; at one point we saw the ocean on one side and just nothing but dunes of sand on the other. I tried to take pictures of the dunes; but no picture did it justice.

-World Map project:
Another volunteer and I were working at Baobab school and both of us decided to give the World Map Project a try with our 2nd term students. Neither one of us really knew how much work would go into this project. We had a manual to go by and to start we had to divide the map up into about 30-40 different sections for each student. Students then practiced the grid method with general drawings; and then later with their section of the map. The other volunteer and Iwould paint the entire background blue and drew the grid lines (most daunting task ever!). Once students looked like they were ready to draw on the wall; they sketched their section of the map with pencil on the wall. And finally they got to paint their respective sections. We had help from several other volunteers who helped touch up countries that well…didn’t look much like countries; and with other sections that were never finished.

While students practiced; we also included lessons about geography, cultures, environmentalism, etc. It took several months but in the end the mural was a huge success! It was pretty cool to see how far the map had come. And at one point, I was worried it would even look like a map in the end! But it’s pretty cool to think I quite physically put a mark on Botswana with this map!

-Completing all 30 STEPs screenings at the two JSS:
During my IST, I was trained in STEPs. A program that originated in South Africa and uses media/videos to help start discussions on topics related to HIV and AIDS. At first I was super pumped about it; and Mary and I decided to facilitate some STEPs screenings at both of our schools. But it kind of fell apart. I didn’t really think about STEPs for a couple of months but then in Aug/Sept 2011 I came up with a plan. I would screen every class at two junior secondary schools. And that’s exactly what I did!!

For about 4 weeks; I would go to the schools and show a STEPs film to each class. Some of the classes would only be 45 min; and some would last for 2 hours. I usually set up in the guidance room, library or computer room. In the beginning I tried out various films; but found the film- “Thinking About It”- to be the best! We would talk about things like: teenage pregnancy, abortion, suicide, transactional sex, peer pressure, decision making, condom use, abstinence, talking about sex with parents, OVCs, HIV/AIDS, STIs, contraceptives, and much more. Some days I would have 1 screening and I think the most I ever had on one day was 5.

 In the end, I completed a total of 30 screenings (15 classes from each school). I screened the films and had discussions with over 1024 students. Each class of students were different and each screening brought up new questions. I used to hate public speaking (and Ill admit—I still kind of do) but because of all the sessions I have facilitated in Botswana…I’ve become a much more confident speaker! I loved having open discussions with the students and hearing about the challenges they faced; and helping them work through them! But some of my favorite moments from the screenings didn’t come from the “during” part of the session; but the “after” part. I would have students lined up outside waiting to ask me questions. Some of them were too shy to ask me in front of everyone; and some had even asked for my phone number so they could call and ask me more questions. So of all the things I’ve done in Botswana—I can only hope that this is where I had the most impact. I talked to a lot of students and I can only hope at least one of them got something out of our discussions!

Later, I would also screen films to about 12 more classes (370+ students) at two primary schools. I had hoped to screen all standard 6 and 7 students at all 5 primary schools; but unfortunately time was not on my side!

-Billabong Pro Surfing Competition:
Before I even came to Botswana, I had heard about a pro surfing competition that was held in South Africa every year. I was not able to go the 1st July that I was here because I was on lockdown but I was able to go the 2nd year!
My friend Hannah and I took a trip to Jeffrey’s Bay and Cape Town in July 2011. Even though we only got to see one full day of competition (we were there for 3-4 days but the waves weren’t good enough…and of course they picked up again the day we were leaving); it was still so cool! I just loved the atmosphere of the whole town and of the whole competition! Everyone was there to hang out, surf and have a good time! Unfortunately the ONE person I had hoped to see at the competition (Kelly Slater) was of course…not there! But overall, I still had a fantastic time!

For some reason, Ive always had a love for surfing and I’ve been fortunate to go surfing on several occasions. I have been surfing in Hawaii, Delaware, Florida, and now South Africa. If anything, me being able to attend this competition, helped solidify my love for surfing and my hope to one day learn how to ride a short board! Believe me people…It will happen! I think the idea of moving to Hawaii for a few years after I get my masters sounds like a fantastic plan…yes? I think so.

-Keyara:
So a Bots8 couple’s cat had kittens back in July 2010 and they were looking for 2 nice homes for these little ones. I had debated getting a cat and decided it would be nice to have some company! So in September, Keyara became a new resident of my house!

I still remember when the volunteers brought her and she was so tiny! She was so curious and just walked around the house all day exploring! She is so sweet and loved being right next to me. She would always lie right on top of my chest or stomach (and still does...). She has her crazy moments—when she runs around making funky noises or when company is over and she plays with the curtain behind the couch. I’ll never forget another volunteer who was as easily entertained by it, as she was. To this day, I swear it was Keyara who sensed that someone was trying to get into my house and began making lots of noise because of it. She loves shiny and pieces of paper that make noise. I think her favorite toy hands down is the cellophane Endearmint wrappers. So small…yet so much fun! Her newest thing is to climb all the way up to the top of the fridge and sits there while I cook dinner. She’s managed to scratch up the sides of my couch; despite the fact that I made her, her very own scratching pole—which she doesn’t even look at. She helped me catch a mouse; but she’s also brought in 3 dead birds. I remember being outside doing my laundry and when I went back inside I found a trail of tiny feathers leading right to my bedroom. Keyara was apparently giving me a gift.
She’s been a great companion and Im going to miss her lots! She was my first real pet (sorry…but the several fish I had growing up never really counted). I wish I could bring her home but it’s way too expensive and I don’t think my mom would appreciate me carrying cargo off the plane that she’s allergic to! The details are still fuzzy but it looks like she’ll be going to a new home with a new volunteer. I have no doubt that she will be taken care of and loved by the next volunteer!

So there you have it. Some of my favorite things and moments about my time here in Botswana! 29 days…

*Again sorry for the lack of pictures and probably too much text. Blogger wont let me upload photos right now 

No comments:

Post a Comment